When it comes to selling online, particularly with a platform like Shopify, you want to choose products that work well with the platform, as well as products the work well for your particular store. Luckily, you can sell just about anything using Shopify and you’ll see that people have created stores with almost every product imaginable.
But what about choosing products that are right for you? That’s a little more complicated and you’re going to have to ask yourself some thoughtful questions to figure out what it is that you want to sell in your Shopify store.
How To Find A Product To Sell Online On Shopify Store
Choosing Your Products: Go With What You Know
The first thing that you should understand is that while you don’t need to be an expert on whatever products or services that you are selling, you at least need to be familiar enough with them to be able to answer a customer’s questions or to know where to go to find the answers when you don’t know it yourself.
So, the best place to start is to decide what you are passionate about. If you are an avid action figure collector perhaps toys is your particular niche. If you are into sewing and knitting, then those particular hobbies might be where your production selection should come from.
Identify a Problem & Solve it
Second, we want to identify a need. Everyone has problems that they want solved by a product. When they find that product, they are willing to fork over cash for it. A good example is the weight loss industry. Experts have been saying for decades now that there is no “magic pill” for weight loss.
In fact, there is nothing except hard work that promotes weight loss – less calories in and more calories burned. But still, there are thousands of “magic pill” weight loss products on the market, cluttering up the television late at night and advertised in every magazine and newspaper in the country.
Obviously, those people are still in business because people are willing to pay for what they want, and what they want is a magic weight loss solution that will allow them to skip the dieting and exercise. Unfortunately, those products don’t work.
Hopefully, you will find a need or a problem that begs to be solved and actually provide a product that will solve that problem. If you do, you’ll be ahead of more than three-quarters of the ecommerce entrepreneurs out there, because many people don’t consider what problems need to be solved when they start to sell, nor do they ensure that they have chosen a product that will solve that problem effectively. Many new sellers simply jump in with both feet.
Think About it From a Consumer Standpoint
Have you ever purchased something? Of course you have. In fact, it is certain that you have purchased many things during your lifetime. You have been a consumer, and so you have the ability to look at your products and your store from a consumer point-of view.
Imagine that you were trying to solve the problem from the last section yourself. What kind of things would you be looking for? Would you be looking for a real, physical product or would a service help you better? What kind of features would you want that product to have? What other things would you be willing to buy as accessories to that product or service?
These questions are how you look at your product from a consumer point-of-view. It is easy to get lost in the business owner point-of-view, where you think that if you build your store, they will come, even if you aren’t sure who “they” are or what they are looking for.
You can not only solve your customer’s problems much more effectively when you are able to see things from their perspective, you are also able to cash in on extras, like the aforementioned accessories. When you think you have the products that you want to sell, spend some time carefully considering them as a customer before you commit to putting them into your store.
Your Brand as a Marketing Tool
Okay, so you might not have a brand built up yet, but it is important to evaluate whether or not you are going to be able to make your brand have staying power in the niche that you have decided upon. This is an almost impossible decision to make until you know more about how your business is going to go.
Your brand could be the best way that you could have possibly marketed yourself or it could lead to your downfall if you don’t change it. But as mentioned, it is impossible to predict. As an example, a successful attorney was unfortunately enough to have the last name “Crooks.” When he went live with an ad campaign that was branded “Trust Crooks” everyone thought it would backfire, but in fact, it turned out to be successful for him.
Read More – The Ultimate Guide To Setup Shopify Ecommerce Store Successfully 2017
Even if you can’t predict exactly how your brand and marketing is going to fare when it actually gets in front of consumers, there are a few things that you can do to ensure that you have the best chance possible to make it a success. Here are some things to keep in mind when building your store brand.
- The Logo: You don’t want to go with a logo that someone from Fiverr made for you, or even one of those “Make-it-yourself” logo services. You definitely don’t want to design it yourself until you actually are a graphic designer. Instead, spend some money and get a real, professional logo created. If you can’t afford the outlay, try to make a trade with a graphic designer.
- Something Completely Unique: Brands that become successful do so because they offer something that no one else offers and then they market the heck of out of that feature. For example: Tom’s Shoes is a for-profit shoe company that sells their canvas kicks for probably more than you think they’re worth, but they donate a pair of shoes to a child in need in a third-world country with every purchase, so people buy from them in droves.
- Remember the old Domino’s Pizza ads? “Thirty minutes or it’s free!” They’ve had to stop guaranteeing that particular time frame since driver’s were getting into car accidents, but the principle stands.
- Being Consistent: This is a biggie. Think about readers and successful authors. The readers that flock to those authors in droves do so because the writer delivers one great story after another, consistently. In fact, what readers want when they finish a great book by an author is another book just like it.
- It can work the same for your business. If you solve a problem for them in a particular niche and provide a quality product, they will expect you to be able to solve a similar problem in the future and with the same level of quality as the first.
So, choosing products is more than just selling something you like. You want products that you know a lot about, enjoy working with and can build a brand around. Do that and your Shopify site will be successful.